The definition of a modern gentleman with a touch of old school romantic, Tom Ford was the cover star of the spring/summer 2011 issue of Another Man. He said a lot of things through the year but these five easy lessons in how to be a modern gentleman is one of the shortest ways to live your life like a true gentleman, happier, better and stronger.
It’s about five things that could define any man. It’s not about rules, it’s about showing respect to your own self and making your world better and happier, the Tom Ford way… and mine as well (yes, including the “flip flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate” part, I’ve always thought that).
1. You should put on the best version of yourself when you go out in the world because that is a show of respect to the other people around you.
2. A gentleman today has to work. People who do not work are so boring and are usually bored. You have to be passionate, you have to be engaged and you have to be contributing to the world.
3. Manners are very important and actually knowing when things are appropriate. I always open doors for women, I carry their coat, I make sure that they’re walking on the inside of the street. Stand up when people arrive at and leave the dinner table.
4. Don’t be pretentious or racist or sexist or judge people by their background.
5. A man should never wear shorts in the city. Flip-flops and shorts in the city are never appropriate. Shorts should only be worn on the tennis court or on the beach.
A gentleman looks best with a subtle smile upon his face. Especially Tom Ford, right?